Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Dress Form Quincenera Cake

In my journey and discovery of this new found passion and talent for cake baking and decorating... I stumbled across Pink Cake Box!!  Perhaps a few of you know the talented Anne Heap!!  Well she and her team of talent happen to make amazing cakes, but the one I fell in love with and HAD to make my own version of, is her Dress Form Cakes!  AMAZING!!  Other than her beautiful cake photos there are NO real tutorials on how to make a dress form cake!  So I ventured out and used the ole noggin and came up with my own version.  Want to see it???  Here it goes!!

The completed Dress Form Cake!

I went to Michael's and found an oval shaped wooden plaque small enough to work as the base of the dress form and to serve as a strong support to hold the cake layers and fillings.  I then picked up a square thin plywood for the base of the stand and glued that on top of 1" thick form core board.  I found a sliver candle stick holder and thought it was perfect to complete the look of the dress form stand.  I glued the candle stick to the plywood and the bottom of the oval shaped plaque.  I then drilled a small hole into the the middle of the oval plaque and glued a 12" wooden dowel into the drilled hole to create a middle support for the cake layers.  I let everything sit overnight for the glue to set firm and strong.

Dress Form Cake Stand with cut cake board ready to receive the first cake layer.

First cake layer (Chocolate Cake) With a dam of White Vanilla Buttercream to hold in Chocolate filling.

With the idea of cutting the cake in mind, I added a cake board in between cake flavors.  Next flavor, Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Filling

Three Layered Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Filling!


Finished with German Chocolate with Chocolate Filling!  I carved both the Red Velvet and German Chocolate Cake layers to form a waist and breast!  I then covered the whole cake in White Vanilla Buttercream.

I used Rice Krispy Treats to mold the top part of the breast, shoulders and neck!


The entire Dress Form Cake covered in White Vanilla Buttercream!


Covered the top portion in Flesh Tone Colored Fondant!

Used long wooden sticks to rest the 50/50 Gumpaste and Fondant ruffles.  I layered the ruffles starting at the bottom to cover the wooden base.


I finished this cake with a Hot Pink Fondant Sash of rolled Roses (glued on with Royal icing and held in place with a ribbon tied around the cake until dried) and Bow for the back!


And there you have it!!  Sift By Kara's First Dress Form Cake!  

3 comments: